Each year Forbes evaluates the riches of the wealthiest characters from novels, movies, television and games, constructing portfolios based on their stories and then valuing them using real-world commodity and share prices. It’s been a good year to be imaginary: The aggregate net worth of the Fictional 15 is $215.8 billion, up 3 percent. Below, we’ve collected some of the wisdom that has helped these characters amass their fantastic fortunes.
1. Scrooge McDuck Uncle Scrooge $65.4 billion
Source: Mining, treasure hunting. Residence: Duckburg, Calisota.
“No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while! And I like to dive around in my money like a porpoise! And burrow through it like a gopher! And toss it up and let it hit me on the head!”
2. Smaug The Hobbit $54.1 billion
Source: Marauding. Residence: The Lonely Mountain.
“I kill where I wish and none dare resist.”
3. CarliSle Cullen Twilight $46 billion
Source: Compound interest, investments. Residence: Forks, Washington.
4. Tony Stark Iron Man $12.4 billion
Source: Defence. Residence: Malibu, California.
“They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once.”
5. Charles Foster Kane Citizen Kane $11.2 billion
Source: Media. Residence: Xanadu, California.
“If I hadn’t been very rich, I might have been a really great man.”
6. Bruce Wayne Batman $9.2 billion
Source: Inheritance, defence. Residence: Gotham City, USA.
“Sometimes it’s only madness that makes us what we are.”
7. Richie Rich Richie Rich $5.8 billion
Source: Inheritance, conglomerates. Residence: Richville, USA.
“How come all we do is talk about money? Why don’t we do something fun?”
8. Christian Grey Fifty Shades of Grey $2.5 billion
Source: Investments, manufacturing. Residence: Seattle, Washington.
“I go with my gut and 99 percent of the time it doesn’t let me down. If you can free your mind from the clutter of other people’s expectations and the constraints of what’s expected of you, there’s no limit to what you can achieve.”
9. Tywin Lannister Game of Thrones $1.8 billion
Source: Inheritance. Residence: Casterly Rock, Westeros.
“A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.”
10. C Montgomery Burns The Simpsons $1.5 billion
Source: Energy. Residence: Springfield, USA.
“What good is money if it can’t inspire terror in your fellow man?”
11. Walden Schmidt Two and a Half Men $1.3 billion
Source: Technology. Residence: Malibu, California.
“I can’t give you hope, but I can give you my American Express black card.”
12. Lara Croft Tomb Raider $1.3 billion
Source: Inheritance, treasure hunting. Residence: Wimbledon, England.
“Everything lost is meant to be found.”
13. Mr Monopoly Monopoly $1.2 billion
Source: Real estate. Residence: Atlantic City, New Jersey.
14. Mary Crawley Downton Abbey $1.1 billion
Source: Inheritance, marriage. Residence: Yorkshire, England.
15. Jay Gatsby The Great Gatsby $1 billion
Source: Racketeering, investments. Residence: West Egg, New York.
“Can’t repeat the past? Why, of course you can!”
This article appeared in the Forbes India magazine of 06 September, 2013